Wednesday 22 June 2011

Peanut butter and Snickers muffins

Caution: You have to be a peanut lover for this one :-)

Snickers is without a doubt one of the best non-cadbury chocolates that's ever existed.

When I was little, whenever we were told to pick a bar of chocolate from the store, my little hands reached out to the Snickers bar.
Theres something about the chunky peanuts in caramel and yummy nougat that I simply adored.
I used to take home my chocolate bar and gobble it up greedily. That was always what I chose as my treat.
That's until I reached my mid-teens and started to get aware of calories and fat content. I remember the first time I looked at the back of the wrapper and my eyes popping out when I saw numbers. 
Heartbroken. Devastated. Mortified!!!!
NOOOOO!!! my precious snickers bars were actually pretty evil. I think since it was one of the first things that I ever checked the labels of, I became highly traumatised and since then, I don't remember ever eating an entire bar on my own. 
Yes, its a sad sad story.

Make no mistake that ONE day, I shall have one all by myself. I don't know when, but it will happen!!

Anyway, I recently saw a recipe of Peanut butter and Snickers muffins by Nigella and knew I had to try it out. The ingredients speak for themselves but I think these are bound to be delightful and definitely worth the treat. 
The recipe calls for a load of crunchy peanut butter and chopped up snickers bars. The crunchy peanut butter fills the cake with bits of chopped up peanuts and the saltiness makes sure the muffins aren't too sickly sweet.

Its one of those excessively indulgent recipes that comes up with the seriously good results that majority will love- not to mention, the house smells amazing when these are in the oven!!






Ingredients: (Makes 12)

250g plain flour
6 tbsp (85g) golden caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsps baking powder
Pinch of salt
6 tbsps (160g) crunchy peanut butter
60g soft butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
175ml milk
3 Snickers bars (65g each), chopped

You will need a 12 bun muffin tin with paper cases

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200c/400f

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the peanut butter and mix until you have a bowl of course crumbs.
Add the melted butter and egg to the milk, and then stir this gently into the bowl.
Mix in the Snickers pieces and dollop into the muffin cases
Cook for 20-25 minutes, when the tops should be risen, golden and firm to the (light) touch.

Sit the tin on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before taking out each muffin in its case and leaving them on the wire rack to cool.

Happy Baking :-)
-S

3 comments:

Fauzia M. Afif said...

Ooooh so tempting! Will absolutely have to try these out inshA soon!! And are you serious about not having had a full bar of snickers in that long? OMG girl!!

A tablespoon of This... said...

I know right!!! I'm totally going to have one on my own soon now!!!..:-D
you should totally try these out if you like snickers..I love them cos the caramel of the snickers gets all melted!! lol yummm

plasterers bristol said...

Wow these sound so good, thanks for posting this up.

Simon