Sunday 5 June 2011

Apple pie

I've never understood people who don't like apple pie.
That, or anything that has cooked apple in it. 
I love it!!..I've always loved it and will always love it!
I never actually ever made home made apple pie...and only used to buy the boxed ones whenever I really felt like a treat. I had to think loong and hard before buying it cos the Taste Tester has never been too keen on cooked apple, so that mean I have to finish the entire thing on my own..!!
Anyway, the parents had some guests over from Tanzania who came over after a trip elsewhere in the UK. With them came a big bag of apples that they had picked from an apple orchard. Something had to be done with these apples and this was my chance! My chance to build up my courage and use them for Apple pie!!
Anyway..after searching the internet for a simple recipe for the filling...I finally made a pie. (Using bought pastry- I have yet to build up my courage to make home made short pastry from scratch!!)
My friend was home that day, so together we chopped and baked and had an awesome time! It's always more fun when you have company in the kitchen :-) 
The pie turned out good...although quite messy. But with some vanilla ice cream it tasted great! 
I'm glad I can finally make pie at home :-)

I have edited the recipe..after making apple pie quite a few times..so that it tastes the way I like it. Its so basic and tastes great.
Try it. If you like apple pie, you'll love this!!
p.s Try to use baking apples..I did try it with normal apples once and it was runny and too sweet!!- But hey, it was still apple pie!! :-P






For the filling:

Peel and chop up Bramley Apples into little cubes (equal sized pieces so they cook evenly)
Mix them with a small cup of sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (adjust it to your preference)
A little lemon juice if you like.

Toss the apples and the ingredients together until they're all evenly covered in the mixture.

That's it!! :-) As easy as that.
Make a base for your apple pie after rolling out some shortcrust pastry. Fill it up with the apple mixture and cover with some more rolled out pastry..you can make a lattice crust or any you like.
Brush the pastry on top with milk to give it a shiny surface when its baked.

Stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Depends mainly on how your oven is.
Remove it. Cut it. Eat it. Enjoy it.

-S

No comments: