Wednesday 15 June 2011

Cappuccino cake

I've really been wanting to bake something for the past few days. It was one of those urges that needed to be satisfied, but I needed to find a good recipe that everyone would like to taste. There's no point making something that the folks at home wouldn't be interested in.
Usually, most of the things that I bake have an element of chocolate in them...chocolate orange cake, chocolate desserts, brownies..you get the idea..
So after searching for something that was flavoured differently, I came across the perfect recipe for Cappuccino cake.
I have made coffee cake in the past, but this one was entirely different and after looking at the ingredients which included yoghurt, I knew it would be really really moist- which is quite dangerous because that means I would eat a lot of it :-/

Anyway, the recipe is really simple. Its one of those cakes which you throw all the ingredients in to a bowl and whisk them together. Easy. No mess. Yummy results.
The frosting was made out of cream cheese, which gives the perfect balance to the cake. Almost like Tiramisu but I don't think as rich.
I found the recipe in the BBC Good Food magazine.Try giving it a go, you'll love it! I'm looking forward to having people over so I can bake it again :-)



Pure Yumminess :-)

Ingredients:

250 grams softened butter/margarine plus extra for greasing
280 grams self-raising flour
250 grams golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
150ml natural yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cocoa powder
100ml strong coffee (made with 2 tbsp coffee granules)

Icing:
140 grams icing sugar
350 grams soft cream cheese or mascarpone
chocolate shavings or chocolate covered coffee beans

Method:
Heat the oven to 160C/ gas 4.
Grease a 20x30cm baking tin and line it with baking parchment

In a large bowl, beat the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, cocoa and half of the coffee for the sponge batter.
Whisk it with an electric hand-held mixer.

Pour it into the baking tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes until its risen and a skewer poked in comes out clean.

As soon as its out of the oven, evenly pour out the rest of the coffee on to the cake.

Cool in the tin while making the Icing.
Just mix together the icing sugar and the cheese and then spread on to the cooled cake.
You could dust it with a little cocoa powder or use chocolate shavings or scatter with chocolate coated coffee beans.

Its really easy and the whole cake can be done in just under an hour.
Well worth the little effort put in to it.

-S

2 comments:

bushra said...

tried this amazing cake for my sons birthday party cause most people in my family dont eat chocolate ones...this was perfect for everyone.
i dont know if i can post its pic here but let me know if i can....tc and thanks.

A tablespoon of This... said...

I'm so glad it turned out great!!! I made it again the day before yesterday too :-)
You can post a picture on the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/atablespoonofthis
It would be awesome to see your lovely cake!!! :-)
tc